Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The whirlwind leading up to Lag B'Omer

We are counting the Omer. I am not taking the mourning part of it as strictly as many others, but every night we recite "Baruch atah A-donai E-loheinu Melekh Ha-olam asher kid'shanu b'mitzvotav v'tzivanu al S'firat Ha-omer." Just as we are commanded in Leviticus 23:15-16.

The 33rd day og the counting of the Omer, Iyar 18, or, this year, May 11/12, is Lag B'Omer, when the restrictions of the Omer counting period is lifted and we celebrate with music and wedding and bonfires. It is undoubtedly one of my kids' favorite holidays. My youngest definitely has a fascination with bonfires, and putting those fires out, and, as good Jewish boys, all three love barbecues and picnics--both an important part of Lag B'Omer in my family.

This year we are invited to a wedding. You see, during the 50 days between Pesach and Shavuot there are no weddings, except on Lag B'Omer. I swear half of my family/friends have a wedding anniversary on Lag B'Omer!

We are not only invited to the wedding, but all three of my boys will get to participate in one way or another. They are extremely excited, this is the first time they will get to wear real suits and do real grown up things, like ushering and handing out menus and things like that. They are completely unprepared to received the billions of kisses and cheek pinching from aunties flying in from New York... Oh the innocence of ignorance! :-)

Today as I was at work my boys chatted up on me, asking me to bring them ties from Ireland. Matching ones. And not only for them, but for all 9 boys who are going to run around with Very Important Tasks To Perform at the wedding.

Pesach was just here. What happened, where is time flying? It's almost Lag B'Omer and then it's time to bake cottage cheese stuffed strudels and rolls in time for Shavuot and celebrate receiving the Law by studying Torah all night long and just enjoying the Israeli summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...