Monday, May 17, 2010

Eurovision countdown 8.

I remember watching a lot of Italian movies as a kid. Especially when I lived in Italy for a short time. But seriously, there were times when I saw more Italian movies than American ones. I also watched older Italian movies. Like ones from the 60's and 70's. Like ones with Gianni Morandi.

I have to admit that my all time favorite song by him is the all-too-common choice, In Ginocchio Da Te. (Link to YouTube.) The film was sweet and I can't wait till I can pick the old VHS up from my brother to watch it for the 10 millionth time. I'm a sucker for sweet movies from a different era.

In 1970 Gianni Morandi represented Italy in the ESC. He didn't place particularly high, but I think he was absolutely entertaining considering that he was standing alone on stage. Kevin would phrase that he was particulary hyperactive.

All I can say if it wasn't for Morandi, I would have never fallen in love with the music of Eros Ramazzotti. I first heard his name in a TV series uttered by Morandi's character, who tried to convince some young people that he was really too old to sing their song.

Well, he definitely wasn't too old in 1970.





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...