Saturday, September 17, 2011

And This Was A Friday...

Fridays are my favourite days next to the Shabbat. Not even Rebecca Black could ruin them. We always apreciate them more during the school year, even if some of the kids go to school on Fridays this year. We are getting into a routine about that already, and we continue to fully enjoy our days. Usually the high schoolers who attend on Fridays get up and out of the door by the time the rest of us get up. They are really awesome about it, and I loved the note saying Yonah had helped the littles two potty, gave them some juice and sent them back to bed for another hour. Isn't he just awesome? 

We really didn't have anything planned for the weekend. I made breakfast for the littles, and baked challah and got ready for the Shabbat. As the older boys got home, I was just taking the sweet rolls I made out of the oven. Nirel, formerly known as Newest Boy, sat down at the island next to me with his homework. As I buttered a roll for him, he looked at me and said, "You know, I don't think I'll pass the bagrut." 
Bagrut is the Israeli matriculation exam. I wasn't that surprised by this declaration: Nirel went to schools that taught little more than basic reading, writing, arithmetic and an insane amount of Torah/Talmud for most of his life, and while he had attended state religious schools for the last three years, he is struggling in school. 
"Even if I pass," he continued as I added honey to the rolls, "I don't think I'd want to go to University."
"So, what do you want to do instead?" I asked, expecting an answer like going into IT, or an administrative work or something.
"I want to be a cake maker and decorator," he said, not daring to look me in the eyes.
"That's awesome," I replied, "have you ever baked anything?"
"No, but I'm pretty good with play dough."

So, what would any loving guardian do in this situation? Yes, I made him bake his first chocolate cake. It's not half bad!


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...