Saturday, September 3, 2011

I got me a class

So... with recent events here, the school that my middle kids attend lost some of the teachers for this year, and I was asked to--at least temporarily--take on one of the classes as part of a two-person team teaching team. I am now teaching a combined 5th/6th grade class with 13 kids: 11 boys and 2 girls. None of the kids are native Israelis, and all are multilingual, English or Hebrew usually not being a first language for them. Many are international adoptees with various levels of academic achievement behind them, some are very recent olim (immigrants), one kid has a profound hearing loss, and we have a number of letter combinations to go with the kids. My teaching partner, Sara, teaches Hebrew and in Hebrew, I teach English and in English...except when I'm teaching very basic words and the alefbet to the absolutely-non-Hebrew speakers. Two of the kids are mine, so it kinda feels like I get to home school them.

Actually, only after 1 day, our classroom was described as a homeschool with uniforms. I think it's quite fitting. We use different books and curriculums for the kids, and we are working on assessing them and creating individual curricula for them. It's gonna be a fun year, I hope.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...