Sunday, April 25, 2010

A much dreaded phone call

My grandparents returned to Eilat on Thursday.  This morning my grandma called my dad. Last night my grandpa, age 93, suffered a massive stroke and is in critical condition. He is not on life support,  and he is not expected to recover. And the odd thing is, everyone seems to be okay with that.

He has had excellent health till recently, but during the last few months he has started to experience various health issues. During this last visit he expressed several time that he felt like this was the last time he was seeing us, and, like Jacob, went about performing a father's blessing on his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

I've had the feeling that Grandpa has been at peace with his life and with impending death as well.

Grandpa's favorite flowers are lilacs. He always said that they reminded him of his childhood and youth. As I close my eyes I can almost smell the lingering scent of the lilacs that were originally planted by great-grandpa in the garden where grandpa spent summer days. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...