Saturday, May 1, 2010

30-Day Challenge Day 4

Day 04 — Your favorite book.

This is another one that makes me think. The standard answer would be expected to be Torah, but actually, no it's not. I very much enjoy urban fantasy and science fiction. I also like history and crime books. So whiel I was gonna mention Ender's Game, or pretend to be the intelectual I am not and bring up Márai's Embers, or even the Nobel winner Fateless by Imre Kertész.

I have to say that the absolute favorite one is the collection of all the Sherlock Holmes stories and novels. The double volume sits on my shelf all neatly, but as I remove the one with the stories, it's revealed to be well worn. It's read and re-read by various family members - most recently my 11-year-old finished reading it before I let him see the new movie. (Yes, I let my 11-year-old watch the new Sherlock Holmes.)

While Agatha Christie is a pleasant summer afteroon read with a pint of ice cold lemonade, Sherlock Holmes is entertaining and exciting all at the same time. Holmes is complicated and interesting. Watson is strategically ignorant. And then tehre is Irene Adler... Sharp Logic... If Holmes had a cane, he'd be House M.D.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...