Friday, May 21, 2010

Eurovision countdown 12

One of the all time highlights for me were in 1994, and I was very pleasantly surprised that the Hungarian entry from that year has stuck with me for over a decade and a half. The best part was listening to the BBC commentators trying to pronounce the title of the song, Kinek mondjam el vétkeimet? and failing quite spectacularly. But the song itself was a great one. It was Hungary's first ever entry in the ESC, and I think it was the best ever song they entered.

I can see why some people would not enjoy the original version as much as us, Hungarian speakers, but you can find a video of the English version with semi-decent sound. The lyrics are uplifting, beautiful, and a bit sad at the same time, the music and Friderika's voice is out of this world.

The 1979 winner Hallelujah by Gali Atari and Milk and Honey may have been the most religious song to ever win, but Friderika's song was probably the most religious non-religious song I've ever heard. It touches the heart of the searcher, it prompts thinking and makes one stop for a moment.

Alas, Friderika has all but disappeared. She can be seen during the Sunday broadcasts of one of the charismatic Christian churches, but pretty much that's all. I wish she was more visible in the pop world of Hungary - she was great.




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...