Friday, September 17, 2010

The Day of Atonement

Today is Erev Yom Kippur, a day with a nice meal, sweet cakes and getting ready to fast from sunset tonight till nightfall tomorrow. 

Last year I wrote two entries about Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, and I'd like to point you towards those two entries:

From Leonard Cohen in Israel to Yom Kippur

Prayer on the Day of Atonement

I especially enjoyed writing them, because, as weird as it sounds, Yom Kippur is my favorite day of the year. It's a great feeling to know that you get a new chance, and I love that time that I can spend with things that really matter on this day. 

The fast is hard, yes. Of course many many of the people around me will be spending the whole fast talking about the food they'll have to break their fast. It's not really an issue in my home: we feed the kids and then just don't talk about food beyond that, It doesn't mean that we don't think about it, either...

Soon I'm off to Kol Nidre. Everyone, have an easy fast!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...