Sunday, January 9, 2011

Ester

This Thursday my baby sister was born. Her parents decided to name her Ester, after two wonderful women: her paternal great-grandmother and her maternal great-aunt. I never had the opportunity to meet Mrs. Wise, but I heard she was a wonderful lady, a school teacher for over 40 years in rural Canada.

My great-grandmother, however, I got to meet a few times. She passed away 25 years ago, at the age of 89, shortly after my next-to-youngest sister was born. My dad wayited 25 years to name a daughter after his grandmother, who was a tiny little lady, who chose to return to her native Hungary, where she, too, taught school. It was my great-grandma Eszter, who taught my dad Hebrew while they lived in Hungary, and it was she, who taught my grandmother how to make various Latin American foods, like tamales, that she had learnt when spending years at foreign posts with her engineer husband during the 20s and 30s. I do hope little Esti will be a lot like her great-aunt and great-grandma!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...