Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Censorship in the USA - SOPA and PIPA

My Dear American Friends,

I think many of you believe in your Constitution. I think many of you believe in free speech. I know most of you are bloggers yourself, and you find your blogs an important part of your freedom of speech.

The Congress are about to pass a bill that would allow the blocking of various sites to be viewed by US citizens. It's the same method that China and Syria use. This would pretty much put the content and availability of the Internet in the hands of corporations (who, are, you know, people, just like you and me, in your country, so I can't wait to see Texas execute one).

Before you dismiss the whole thing with a wave of your hand, just think of the sites that could be gone any time: Wikipedia, forums you frequent, your favourite blogs and your own site as well. Your Facebook, other social networking profiles and emails can be censored.

Furthermore, as the US seems to set standards in internet laws, this could affect most countries. Either that, or maybe finally the rest of the world will finally stop following the USA like sheep.

For a more detailed explanation, see this infographic by AmericanCensorship.org and contact your congressman to put an end to this nonsense. And oh yes, I got most of my info from there, from Wikipedia and from Wordpress.org.

Sincerely,
Hevel

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is very-very annoying...I almost feel like the world is closing around us.depend on the iternet and I love Wikipedia. It is a pitty that we that are not Americans cannot protest in some way.
    I

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to use wikipedia yesterday and was pretty surprised this could actually happen....I did share the link, but haveno idea what else could be done

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...